New Website a Success for Meals on Wheels
Back in January 2010, we were approached by Meals on Wheels to revamp their website. Our goal was to create a user-friendly site that showcased all of their services.
We also wanted to challenge the perception that their services are restricted to seniors – their delicious, Red Seal Chef-prepared meals are perfect for anyone looking for high-quality, nutritious, convenient meals. And who doesn’t want that?
With that in mind we got to work restructuring their website, adding many new features including:
- Online ordering for their hot meals, as well as their Heat n’ Eat frozen meals and Grocery Bag Delivery service. We enhanced these menus with photos and nutritional information.
- More information on services such as Lunch Club Catering, Grocery Bag Delivery, and how these services can benefit people of many various demographics.
- An events calendar for fundraisers, nutrition workshops, and Lunch n’ Learn sessions.
- An online donation feature, making donations faster and easier.
- A meal counter showing how many meals have been delivered since January 2010. At the time of this post they were up to 215,586. . . wow!
- Customer testimonials – everyone has great things to say about Meals on Wheels!
- An electronic newsletter with easy online sign-up.
- Connection to Facebook and Twitter, connecting them to a broad range of people in the community.
- Full control of the website to the Meals on Wheels team so that they can update information without hiring a programmer.
The result? A 73%* increase in site visits, a massive 577%* increase in the number of pages viewed, and a 320%* increase in the amount of time visitors stayed on the site. This tells us that not only are more people visiting the Meals on Wheels site, but that they are accessing more information while they’re there.
73% more site visits
577% more pages viewed
320% more time spent per visit
We knew we had achieved success about a week after launching the new site when a customer called Meals on Wheels to let them know how much she loved the new ordering process. The customer lives all the way in Dubai and had been using Meals on Wheels to arrange meal delivery for her grandmother who lives in Edmonton! Online ordering made it possible for her to provide her grandma with nutritious meals without having to worry about time differences, long distance charges, or the other inconveniences she would have faced with telephone ordering.
Opening Meals on Wheels’ services to include online options means that the organization is not only reaching more people from the community but across the globe as well. We are proud to be part of Meals on Wheels’ success!
*Numbers are based on stats from November 9/09-May 15/10 to November 9/10 (launch date)-May 15/11
Photo credit: Edmonton Meals on Wheels